Rasel Chowdhury is a documentary photographer. Rasel started photography without a conscious plan, eventually became addicted and decided to document spaces in and around his birthplace, Bangladesh. He obtained his graduation in photography from Pathshala, South Asian Media Institute, and in due course, he found the changing landscapes and environmental issues as few extremely important subjects to document in his generation.
Rasel started documenting a dyeing river Buriganga, a dying city Sonargaon, Old People Home, Flood in Bangladesh, Mega City Dhaka and newly transformed spaces around Bangladesh railway to explore the change of the environment, unplanned urban structures and the new form of landscapes. During the same time, he started developing his own visual expression as a landscape photographer to address his subjects with a distinctive look. He bases in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Contributor photographer for Drik News
- Contract photographer for New York Times.
- Contract Photographer for Getty Image.
- Dhaka Art Summit in Bangladesh, 2016
- Syngenta Photography Award Exhibition London, 2015
- Singapore Photo Festival in Singapore, 2014
- Eyes On Bangladesh in New York, 2014
- PIX photo Exhibition in Delhi, 2014
- Dhaka Art Summit in Bangladesh, 2014
- Photo Quai Festival in Paris, France 2013
- Villa Perochon in Niort, France 2013
- Chobi Mela VII in Bangladesh 2013
- Mother Gallery in London 2013
- Dhaka Art Summit in Bangladesh, 2012
- Photo Phnom Penh festival in Cambodia, 2011
- Getty Image Gallery in London 2011
- Noorderlicht Photo Festival in Netherlands and Dubai, 2011
- Longitude Latitude in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2011
- Angkor Photo Festival, Cambodia 2013
- Obscure Photo Festival, Malaysia 2013
- Singapore Photo Festival, Singapore 2012
- Photo Circle, Nepal 2012
- Delhi Photo Festival, India 2011
BOOKS AND PUBLICATIONS
- ‘Under the Banyan Tree’, a book of twelve most prominent Photographers from Pathshala, South Asian Media Institute.
- National and International magazine publications- The Sunday Time Magazine, New York Times, Platform, Courrier International, 6Moies, Punctum Magazine, La Internazionale, Business Times, The Daily Star, The New Age, The New Nation, The Sun, The Independent.
AWARDS AND GRANTS
- Samdani Art Award 2016
- Syngenta Award 2015
- Getty Image Emerging Talent Award 2012
- Ian Parry Scholarship Award 2011
- Magnum Expression Photography Award, (Finalist) 2010
- Villa Perochon, Niort France 2013
MENTORS AND WORKSHOP ATTENDED
- Antoine D’agata, Cambodia, 2011
- Robert Pledge, ‘The Second Half of the Photographic Process: Editing’, 2011
- Laurence Leblanc, ‘Sensitive experiences: to go beyond the surface of things’, 2011
- Sohrab Hura, ‘Untitled’, 2011.
- Philip Blenkinsop, Collaborative workshop between Pathshala & Oslo University College, 2010
- Jorge Villacorta Chávez, ‘Documentary photography as art’, 2010
- Shannon Lee Castleman, ‘Alternative Printing’, 2009
- Raghu Rai, ‘Portfolio review’, 2009
- Rupert Grey, ‘Copy Right’, 2009
- Shahidul Alam, Abir Abdullah and Munem Wasif, ‘Storytelling’, 2008
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Room To Read
- Head Office Communication
- Plan Bangladesh (NARRI)
- Concern Universal (NARRI)
- Article 19